Home
About The Aerie
About the Auxiliary
Join
Calendar
Volunteers
Hall Rental
Event Photos
Contact Us
   
 

About the Auxiliary

Auxiliary Meetings:

2nd and 4th Monday's at 6PM




Auxiliary Officers 2019 - 2020

Madam President                        Laura Jones

Jr Past Madam President           Elvie Jones

Madam Vice President               Marilyn Beckett

Chaplin                                        Brenda Bagge

Secretary                                     Annie Myers

Treasurer                                     Louise Love

Conductor                                     Karen Dalton

Inside Guard                                 Martha Long

Trustee                                          Desari Dobbs

Trustee                                          Linda Carey

Trustee                                          Robin Stringer




The Birth Of An Auxiliary

For years, women were accompanying male members of the Order to social events.  As early as 1914, women were in attendance for the organization's Grand Aerie Convention, eventually inspiring them to being their own wing of the Eagles - the Ladies' Auxiliary.

Pressure increased to formally recognize the Auxiliary and in January 1926, sitting Grand Worthy President Charles C. Guenther issued an Official Circular explaining that the time had come for definite action in regard to the formal creation of the Auxiliary.

When the Eagles assembled for the 28th annual Grand Aerie Convention in August 1926, delegates formally approved the formation of the Ladies' Auxiliary. On August 14, 1952, Past Grand Worthy President Lester Loble of Montana served as the instituting deputy for the Grand Auxiliary. Because Alta Browning Smith was a primary contributor in the organizing and instituting of the Grand Auxiliary, she was appointed the first Grand Madam President.





Making A Difference

Since the beginning, the F.O.E. has maintained a strong dedication to giving back to the communities housing our Aeries and Auxiliaries. Armed with a strong Grand Aerie and Grand Auxiliary, the organization reached its full potential. In 1954, nearly 10,000 Ten Commandments plaques were distributed by the Order, promoting its foundation of faith and encouraging citizens to use the Commandments as a guideline for treating others and building a stronger community.

Eagles continued their commitment to helping their own through the Memorial Foundation, which was designed to provide aid to the children of members who lost their lives in World War II. In 1967, the Jimmy Durante Children's Fund was established, providing financial aid to institutions aiming to help youth through medical research and prevention programs.

The Charity Foundation continued to grow, establishing separate funds for a variety of causes as they became more prominent, ensuring all brothers and sisters facing illness could have hope for care and a cure.

In 1985, blooming from a strong relationship with member and entertainer Danny Thomas, the Eagles became the first organization to top $1 million in donations to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

The Eagles took on their biggest fundraising challenge in 2008, committing $25 million to the University of Iowa to fund The Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center, which opened in August 2014 inside the John and Mary Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building in Iowa City, Iowa. The 20,000-square-foot facility hosts a team of more than 100 researchers working on ways to prevent, treat and ultimately cure diabetes.